One of the reasons that therapy and coaching are effective is to do with the value of space. It’s not so much about what happens in a session, its more about the fact that the session happens.
Creating a space to devote some thinking time to whatever it is that you want to sort out allows a number of things to happen:
- Worrying about the ‘problem’ can be put aside until the appointed time
- Making an appointment is ‘doing something’
- It indicates intent (to ourselves), and commitment (to others)
- The unconscious mind starts working (and problem-solving), in advance the appointment
- Space creates opportunity which can only be experienced (you can’t ‘imagine’ what will happen, you have to do it).
There are several other helpful aspects, but that’ll do for now. The main thing is to trust – if there is something you are wrestling with – that scheduling some time to may in itself bring benefits you could never imagine.
If you are not keen on the idea of working with a coach or therapist, there’s always DIY Therapy.