Check this list of popular sayings. They have become popular I guess because they resonate with people; they provide sound advice at a moment of need. The evolution of language and culture means that things that are useful stick around, those that are not just don’t get the traction; they fade away and are soon forgotten.
This is probably why we don’t have sayings like “A stitch in time will never work”; “Two wrongs are probably inevitable”, “Birds of a feather smell bad”, or “When in Rome, eat pizza”.
Today, whatever you are doing, take your time to reflect on something that has been handed down to us by our ancestors. Choose one from this list of popular proverbs, write it on a Postit or find some other way to keep it about you, and reflect on it regularly.
- The pen is mightier than the sword
- Don’t count your chickens before they hatch
- No man is an island
- There’s no such thing as a free lunch
- Fortune favours the bold
- The early bird catches the worm
- Two heads are better than one
- People who live in glass houses should not throw stones
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going
- You can’t always get what you want.
Or pick another one, it doesn’t matter as long as you choose it yourself. The ones above are just suggestions.
Make it a game. Pick a day each week to be your “I’m-going-to-reflect-on-a-proverb” day.
Want more? Go here.