People come and ‘see’ me from all over the world, so distance is no obstacle to having a helpful conversation. Many of us are already familiar Skype or similar services for talking to friends, family or colleagues, wherever they might be, so it is a natural step to hold therapy or coaching sessions in a virtual space in the same way.
Rather than being seen as ‘second best’ to the traditional consulting room, surveys with clients show that some people are actually more comfortable using Skype. It can engage people who would never actually take steps to locate or visit a therapist. Convenience is important for busy people, and since we can buy just about anything on-line, why not therapy and coaching too?
Skype therapy doesn’t just appeal to internet-savvy youngsters or busy working people. Doctors are offering Skype counselling services to their patients, universities are doing the same for staff and students. And housebound parents and carers can get help and support without leaving those they care for.
Coaching or Therapy via Skype is growing because it is easy to access, simple to schedule and it means you can ’try before you buy’ with a free session to assess the therapist or coach you’d be working with. See my Session Terms to find out more about how it works.
Why choose to meet via Skype?
- It is often more convenient to ‘meet’ your therapist in the comfort of your home or office
- It saves time and money because there is no travel with associated costs
- You can choose you therapist, rather than being limited to one that practices near where you live
- Easier access to the coach or therapist with shorter waiting times
- Email backup between sessions should you feel the need
- A free initial consultation to assess the therapist or coach before committing
- Greater choice; when you remove the limitation of travel many more possibilities become available.
There are many advantages to consulting a coach or therapist via Skype, and for some people it is actually their preferred route to getting guidance and support. What’s more, with online booking, making an appointment takes just a few clicks.